How to File Provisional Return of Income?
You can file a provisional return of income through the Portal. Only one pending provisional return (return that is not cancelled or finalized) is allowed per tax year.
Entering Provisional Return of Income
- Click on the Add new provisional return of income button.
- Select the year for which you want to file the provisional return of income and click Add.
- Fill in the fields on the Provisional Return of Income page.
- Click on the View Calculation button to see how the tax due is calculated.
- Click the Close button to close the calculation view.
- Fill in the Other Details field, if necessary. This field is mandatory in case you are entering a revised return.
- Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page to save the provisional return information that you entered. If you click Cancel, the draft will be discarded and all entered information will be lost.
The provisional return is saved. You can attach files to the return.
If you wish to change something, click on the Edit button at the bottom of the page. Note that the return can be changed only before it is submitted.
Adding Attachments to Provisional Return of Income
It is possible to add attachments to the provisional return of income. For example, to present the details available for calculating the income. Attachments can be added only before submitting the return.
- If you have just saved the return, stay on the same page.
If you have navigated away from the page, open the Provisional Returns of Income page and click on the View link in the end of the row of the return to which you want to add the attachments.
- Click on the Attachments tab.
- Click on the Add new attachment button.
- Enter the name of the document to the Name field.
- Click Browse to locate the file in your computer and select it for upload.
- Click on the Save and Close If you want to add another attachment as well, click Save and New.
To open or download an attachment, click on the document file name in the Attachments table.
To remove an attachment, click on the Remove link at the end of the row of this document and click Yes on the Confirmation popup.
Submitting Provisional Return of Income
Once all information has been entered and saved and the necessary attachments added, the provisional return can be submitted.
- Open the Provisional Returns of Income page and click on the View link for the return you want to submit.
- On the Provisional Return of Income page, click on the Submit button.
- Click the Yes button on the Confirmation pop-up.
The document is submitted and finalized. The document status is changed to "Finalized". You can click on the Claims & Payments link to see the provisional return claim in the Claims list.
In case you are entering a revised return, it must be approved by the SGT before it is finalized. In this case, the status of the document is "Submitted".
Cancelling Provisional Return of Income
In case a provisional return of income has been entered by mistake, it can be cancelled. User can cancel a document if it is in the "Draft" or "Waiting Correction" status (before submitting).
- Open the Provisional Returns of Income page and click on the View link for the return you want to cancel.
- On the Provisional Return of Income page, click on the Cancel Document button.
- On the Cancel Provisional Return of Income page, enter a comment to the Comments box (mandatory) and click the Cancel Document button.
The document is cancelled. The document status is changed to "Cancelled".
Correcting Provisional Return of Income
In case a provisional return of income has been entered as a revised return, SGT might send it back for correcting some information. In this case, the provisional return's status is changed to "Waiting Correction".
- Open the Provisional Returns of Income page and click on the View link for the return to be corrected.
- On the Provisional Return of Income page, the reason for not approving the return is given in a separate note.
- According to the reason, correct the return – click the Edit button at the bottom of the page to change amounts or click the Attachments tab to add or change attachments.
Alternatively, you can cancel the document if you no longer wish to submit this return to SGT.
- Once you have made the changes, save the document and submit it again.